If you are planning on painting the exterior of your house, you realize it is a very important project. The curb appeal of your house shows you take pride in your home. Painting the exterior requires a lot of time and work, so it needs to be done right. Making mistakes can be costly in terms of more time and money needed for corrections.
Exterior painting is very different from interior painting. You really need to know what you are doing when painting the outside of a house. It requires significant preparation and research prior to beginning to paint. Painting professionals like our team at Osborne Painting know how to avoid mistakes and give your house the beautiful exterior painting job you are looking for.
Here are tips for avoiding common mistakes when exterior painting in order to get a great paint job.
Tip #1: Paint in Good Weather
Don’t paint when it is raining, really humid, extremely hot or cold! Paint adheres best when the painting is done in just the right weather conditions. Moisture and temperature can be your enemies when painting the exterior of your house. It is best to not paint when it is either very hot or extremely cold. When you have moderate temperatures you will have good results. Additionally, it’s best to choose a day for exterior painting that is from 65 degrees to around 85 degrees Fahrenheit with little wind. Too much wind can cause the paint to dry too quickly. Exterior painting in rain or right after rain will affect the paint job adversely because paint on a wet surface will not completely adhere to the surface. When air and water seep into the paint, it can create cracks and peels. Moisture affects the drying time so high humidity is also a factor in whether you get a perfect paint job.
Tip #2: Do the Proper Prep Work
Don’t rush or scrimp on prepping! We can’t stress enough the importance of prepping properly for painting the exterior of your house. You cannot rush the prep phase. If steps are skipped, it will affect the finished product.
Here are the steps in preparing your house for the paint:
- Scrape away all loose and blistered paint.
- Sand rough edges to create a smooth surface for paint application.
- Clean the surface with a power washing. Then, allow to dry for a day or two.
- Repair areas that are rotten or need to be fixed.
- Caulk open seams.
Tip #3: Use the Right Kind of Paint
Using the wrong kind of, or inferior, paint and primer will result in having to repaint much sooner. Always pay for top-quality paint and primer that has a lifetime warranty against defects in the finish. Use a paint that is specifically designed for exterior use. A high-quality acrylic latex paint is the best for long-term durability. Generally, the best paint finish for siding is a satin/eggshell because it has a low-reflective finish and hides surface imperfections.
Tip #4: Use Proper Techniques
Don’t use haphazard methods! Use proper techniques when painting in order to avoid messing up the job. Do your research so you know the best techniques in painting.
- Always work from the top down by starting with overhangs. You don’t want to start at the bottom and have paint drip on newly painted areas.
- Paint the siding first and allow to dry.
- Tape around the windows and doors and paint the trim.
- Remove the tape as soon as you’re finished painting the trim so you don’t leave tape residue.
- Use tarps, drop cloths, and plastic sheeting to cover decks, shrubs, gardens, patios, walkways and anything else where you don’t want paint spills and splatters.
- Apply more than one coat of paint. When the primer dries, apply the first coat. After that coat becomes tacky, apply the second coat.
Tip #5: Call on the Professionals
Don’t go it alone! Because painting the exterior of your house is such an important and involved job, it’s best to call on professional painters to do it for you. It doesn’t take long to realize that you have taken on more than you can handle when you are doing it yourself. Osborne Painters has a professional crew that knows how to get the job done so that you are completely satisfied.
Request Your Free Exterior House Painting Estimate
Osborne Painting can do the superior exterior painting job that you are looking for. To get started with a free estimate, call us at (919) 878-6611 or fill out our online contact form!